Provo, Utah, USA | 2021 – When it came time to upgrade the Alexx®, Daryl Wilson wanted to be sensitive to where research and development had brought Wilson Audio® over the past five years. The decision was made that a fresh look at the Alexx was in order, so Wilson Audio’s R&D team approached the Alexx V as it if were an all-new loudspeaker. They took elements that clearly worked in the original design and began to apply the myriad of technologies generated by Wilson’s R&D since the advent of the Alexx. Following major launches of the WAMM Master Chronosonic®, Chronosonic XVX®, Sasha DAW®, and SabrinaX®, Alexx V joins a very special family of ground-breaking loudspeakers designed and handcrafted especially for music lovers and audiophiles alike.
The original Alexx loudspeaker, launched in 2016, quickly gained critical acclaim throughout the industry. Alexx benefited from several elements developed during the five years Wilson Audio’s founder David A. Wilson, and his unwavering R&D team, brought to life his magnum opus: the WAMM Master Chronosonic. Now, five years after the monumental accomplishment
of the WAMM, Alexx V builds upon the original Alexx’s success by
offering a completely re-engineered performance envelope without
greatly increasing the footprint. Comparing the overall size of Alexx
V to the original, Alexx V is only one inch deeper and one inch taller while
maintaining the same width.
Each and every component of Alexx V has been re-evaluated and significantly improved. The launch of Alexx V represents a cumulative approach to loudspeaker design, something that Wilson Audio has been steadfast about integrating since the very first location monitor (WATT®) that Dave built almost five decades ago. Incorporating the latest technologies, engineering efficiencies, and material sciences, Alexx V has improved upon the original Alexx by giving, yet again, a higher level of resolution (both temporally and audibly). Finally, Alexx V incorporates Wilson Audio’s latest design language which started with the WAMM Master Chronosonic. The open gantry design not only allows for more structural rigidity and setup flexibility, it also provides a more free flowing organic look and emotionally expressive sound.
Alexx V features unique and exotic materials that have been tested,
developed, and refined exclusively for Wilson Audio over the course of
roughly fifty years. Methodically utilizing mixed-materials, in pursuit of
obtaining the highest performance, has long been a fundamental aspect to
each Wilson loudspeaker.
Alexx V is an extraordinarily adaptable design. Carrying over elements from its larger siblings, such as the XLF reversible woofer port and independently adjustable modules, allows this system to be elegantly tailored to your listening room. These tools built into the DNA of Alexx V allow for greater ease of installation into a wider variety of listening spaces, thus permitting the listener to truly experience the depth and ability of this system.
The open architecture gantry first launched with WAMM Master Chronosonic, followed by Chronosonic XVX, has now found a home with Alexx V. Not only does this benefit the overall appearance of the loudspeaker, but critically, it also enhances the overall rigidity of the entire upper module section and minimizes pressure trapped behind the enclosures, resulting in greater fidelity. Easier access to the upper modules makes for quicker adjustments. Similar to our innovative lighting solution (Sono 1™ from Coolfall®) featured in Chronosonic XVX, Alexx V has an illumination cross-brace at the rear of the gantry which aides in speaker module setup and time-alignment fine tuning.
Continuing the Midrange – Tweeter – Midrange (MTM) design geometry of the original Alexx, our Engineering team has spent considerable time advancing key components of the loudspeaker’s sound characteristics. Every baffle angle, at every module position, has been refined. The time-alignment accuracy of Alexx V is much closer to the XVX, giving this system the ability to recreate micro-detail one would expect from a much larger system.
The different sized lower and upper midrange drivers allow for a more careful tuning of the frequency band, which, when combined with the latest manufacturing advances, gives a greater degree of accuracy and adjustability. The incredibly fast and resolving 5.75” mid-woofer used in the original Alexx, TuneTot®, and SabrinaX, carries over to Alexx V. With the midrange band managed by two dissimilar sized drivers we opted to leverage the incredible advances of our Alnico (Aluminum, Nickel, Cobalt) QuadraMag® design.
This 7” mid was originally developed for Chronosonic XVX and has a warmth, beauty, and texture that brings to life all the elements in your favorite recordings. The QuadraMag driver combines four separate magnets, arranged in an innovative quadrature geometry, further enhancing the delicate intricacies found in the all-critical midrange region. Behind the midrange drivers, internal wave diffusers have been machined directly into the material to further aid the resolving power of these drivers and by dramatically increasing the settling speed of the system. This creates a more life-like reproduction of midrange tone, expression, and accuracy in these remarkable midrange drivers.
When it came to the tweeter, the R&D team once again considered all available options. Fundamentally, the integration of the tweeter and midrange is an absolutely critical element to accurate sound reproduction.
Countless hours were spent examining areas of potential improvement. After careful and methodical consideration, the R&D team decided to build an all-new tweeter system. Therefore, Alexx V features an entirely new Convergent Synergy® Carbon (CSC) tweeter, which builds upon a modified version of the
previous Convergent Synergy motor while embracing an re-imagined, intricate, and innovative rear-wave chamber. This carbon fiber design is completely manufactured in-house using several 3D printers. The
sonic results of this tweeter development cycle have been nothing short of dramatic. The CSC offers far greater and more linear high frequency extension while providing unprecedented ambient retrieval and
superior harmonic detail. Wilson Audio originally developed the 10.5” and 12.5” woofers in conjunction with the WAMM Master Chronosonic. These state-of-the-art bass drivers incorporate Wilson Audio’s latest thinking into accurate and musically relevant low frequency reproduction. Carefully optimizing the Alexx V enclosure, the internal volume has dramatically increased (+16%) compared to the original Alexx. The net result is that Alexx
V features almost the same internal woofer volume as the Chronosonic XVX, which in turn allows for much deeper low-frequency reproduction, faster transient settling, and an overall increase in bass resolution.
4 o hms / minimum 2.0 o hms @ 250 Hz
92 dB @ 1W @ 1m @ 1k
20 Hz – 32 kHz +/- 3 dB
Tweeter: 1 inch, Dome (2.54 cm)
Dome Material: Doped Silk Fabric
Mid-Range: 5.75 inches (14.61 cm)
Cone Material: Doped Paper Pulp
Mid-Range: 7 inches (17.78 cm)
Cone Material: Paper Pulp Composite
Woofer: 10.5 inches (26.67 cm)
Cone Material: Hard Paper Pulp
Woofer: 12.5 inches (31.75 cm)
Cone Material: Hard Paper Pulp
Height: 63 5/16 inches (161 cm) w/o spik es
Width: 15 3/4 inches (40.01 cm)
Depth: 27 29/32 inches (70.88 cm)
5.75” Mid-Range (Rear Vent):
X -Material with S-Material Baffle
7” Mid-Range (Rear Vent):
X -Material with S-Material Baffle
Woofer (Front or Rear Ported):
X -Material with V-Material Top Plate
Weight Per Channel Uncrated:
500 lbs (226.80 k g)
Total Approximate Shipping Weight:
1,400 lbs (635.03 k g)
Difference Between Alexx and Alexx V
Our Engineering team went through each of the critical sub-systems found in the Alexx and upgraded, or re-engineered, many of its components. Here are eleven of those changes:
1. Inspired by natural elements found in Utah one quickly sees more svelte lines in the Alexx V, like what is seen with the XVX. The exposed “skeletonized” architecture allows an airy and openness currently only found with the WAMM Mater Chronosonic and the Chronosonic XVX. Given the open architecture gantry design, the gantry grilles are seamlessly attached via embedded magnets, allowing for quick and simple installation and removal. Alexx Vs overall size is only 1” deeper and 1” taller than Alexx Series 1 (same width as Alexx Series 1).
2. The new 7” Alnico QuadraMag developed for XVX finds its way into the Alexx V. This driver is tonally rich and musically exquisite.
3. New AudioCapX®-WA capacitors are now used throughout the Alexx V crossovers and are uniquely wound at Wilson Audio to our extremely tight tolerances. These custom capacitors now add a new dimension of low-level resolution.
4. All new Convergent Synergy Carbon (CSC) Tweeter rear-wave chamber is 3D printed in-house with carbon fiber. The development of this unique design provides greater high-frequency extension, more linear frequency response, and better harmonic detail.
5. First pioneered with WAMM Master Chronosonic, Alexx V features our latest cable management system. Aiding not only the overall visual aesthetic of the speaker’s rearward look, this cable management system offers an altogether superior solution to achieving the perfect length of speaker cable for each of the upper modules as they are adjusted for correct time-alignment. Included in this refined design is the illumination cross-brace with a custom made Sono 1 Coolfall light for ease of installation in dark environments.
6. Alexx V is an extraordinarily adaptable design, including the XLF reversible woofer port and independently adjustable upper modules. Greater ease of installation into a wider variety of listening spaces allows music lovers to truly experience the ability of this system. Every driver is now better aligned and more on-axis with the listener which provides outstanding micro-detail and the time-alignment accuracy is tighter at all listening positions.
7. All X-Material enclosures with V-Material nested in strategic locations (top of the woofer, in gantry cross-brace, and in the new Wilson Audio Acoustic Diode Spike). Vibration control and upper module isolation are akin to what is found in the Chronosonic XVX, providing amazing settling between the notes.
8. Introducing the Wilson Audio Acoustic Diode. An all-new spike system launched with Alexx V, which has been completely upgraded from our standard spike system, and features a novel combination of austenitic stainless steel and V-Material. This coupling system was created by Wilson Audio’s Special Applications Engineering® (WASAE) division and has superlative vibration management that reveals far greater dynamic nuances across the entire frequency spectrum.
9. The custom built Wilson Audio binding posts, first appearing in Sasha DAW, have now also been integrated into Alexx V. Both banana plug termination and traditional spade connections can be used with this binding post. This premium binding post offers a clean signal path with an upgraded and larger contact surface area.
10. There have been several crossover changes. With fewer components now in the signal path we fine-tuned and modified the system for better Impedance and Sensitivity measurements — From a minimum impedance measurement of 1.5 ohms (Alexx) to 2.0 ohms (Alexx V) and Alexx V is +1dB more sensitive than Alexx Series 1.
11. Gold lugs, which are a superior electrical conductor, are featured throughout the entire product. Some places they can be found are within the crossover, connector plate contact points, and resistor connections.